Thursday, October 2, 2008

From LAX to Lisbon

Hola, Everyone! I have made it to Lisbon.

My flights over were good for the most part. Mostly peaceful except for the New York to Madrid leg where a little toddler seemed to be ill and nothing seemed to make her better. I felt very sorry for the mom and baby and for everyone in the plane. Needless to say it was a sleepless flight and by the time the plane landed we just wanted to get off it. That flight was a little late and so when we landed in Madrid it was a mad dash to the connecting gate. I~m amazed I made it. I honestly have to credit whoever was in charge of the airport signage. Amazing! Easy to follow and easy to read from very far far away.

Lisbon is beautiful and a lovely city. Not too busy and full of old world charm. From the airport I took a bus to the city center and checked into my hostel. WOW. I highly recommend this hostel to anyone who will be traveling to Lisbon. Very clean, secure, helpful staff. The location is literally walking distance from many of the city attractions. The transportation system is easy to use and I have taken the buses, trams and metro...and of course walking walking walking.

The first day I had a couple hours to spend before I could check in so I walked around the city a little bit and tried to get familiar with the surrounding area.
Of course I was a little thirsty so I popped into a little shop and ordered (by the means of pointing and garbled english) an Orange Fanta Soda. Man, Fanta saves lives.
Then after my soda pop I wandered some more and found a gelato shop (a good sign anywhere in the world, i think) and got a limon gelato on a cone. I headed back to the hostel, checked-in and took a shower!

After the shower, it was still early so I walked around, bought postcards and got a sandwich at a shop below the hostel. Yum.

Came back in and I was doing some journaling and I met two girls who were also traveling. One was already 1 month into her travels and the other 2 weeks! After some chit chatting, I told them my plans to go to Fatima and guess what they were interested in going with me! So we made plans to meet up the next morning.

By this time, I am ready for bed... so I made sure my things were secure and called it a night.

p.s.
the photos and video will have to follow..i have downloaded them but I have found that it is finding the time to upload them that takes time.

No comments: